Sassy&Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are You an Emotional Spender?

+2
Eshadowgirl
Sassy
6 posters

Go down

Are You an Emotional Spender? Empty Are You an Emotional Spender?

Post by Sassy Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:22 pm

Are You an Emotional Spender?

Shopping is fun for most, but it comes with two price tags: one financial and one emotional. We spend more than we can afford and then beat ourselves up about it. But you can break this cycle (and save yourself a lot of money). Before buying anything more expensive than a newspaper, ask yourself the following four crucial questions. If your answers are more emotional than rational, you should probably shop less. Keep reading for our advice.

• What am I doing here? If you have a reason to buy-you're out of paper towels or your best friend just had a baby-fine. But if you're shopping just because...then think of something else to do.

• How do I feel? A shopping expedition shouldn't feel frantic or pressured. If it does, it's time to put away your wallet, go home, and chill. Watch bad cable. Take a bubble bath. Just don't shop.

• Is what I'm reaching for something I really need? In other words, what happens if I don't buy it? Remember: Unlike needs, wants are optional. If you want something and don't get it, your health will not fail and your family won't go hungry.

• What happens if I do buy it? Perhaps purchasing the item you've spotted will make you happy-for a little while. But when the bill eventually rolls in, you may find yourself feeling guilty or regretful.
Sassy
Sassy
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Are You an Emotional Spender? Empty Re: Are You an Emotional Spender?

Post by Sassy Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:24 pm

Ready to stop impulse buying? Here are five strategies for shopping smarter:

• Cancel the store credit card. That will keep retailers from wooing you with enticing catalogs and e-mail offers. Plus, store cards are a notoriously bad deal, with interest rates that are, on average, double those of bank cards.

• Give yourself other escapes. Exercise is a good choice since, like shopping, it causes endorphins (your body's feel-good chemicals) to kick in. But if working out is not your idea of fun, pick something else that you can do regularly: Read, knit, call your mom. The key is to decide in advance, so when you feel like hitting the mall, you'll go to your backup plan instead.

• Break the habits that encourage you to shop. As you leave work each day, do you pass your favorite store on the way to the car? If so, find a new parking garage.

• Steer clear of dressing rooms. Research shows that if you try clothing on, you're more likely to buy it.

• Leave the plastic at home. Carry only the cash you're willing to spend that day. If you can't pay the bill, then you're "just looking." And that can be a great way to spend the day-without spending a lot of money.
Sassy
Sassy
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:25 pm

they kind of take the fun out of shopping..huh?
Sassy
Sassy
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eshadowgirl Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:14 pm

What fun is shopping then??? LOL...I thank god Walmart wont give me a credit card..lmfaoooolol!
Eshadowgirl
Eshadowgirl
Newly Joined Friend
Newly Joined Friend

Female
Number of posts : 10

http://myspace.com/eshadowgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:27 pm

I must admit, I turn down all offers from stores for their credit cards.. Are You an Emotional Spender? NoI always tell them I get into enough trouble with the ONE I have.. I mostly only allow myself to use my debit card.. it does keep me out of trouble!
Sassy
Sassy
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Desire Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:50 pm

A few years back I cut up all the cards an cancelled out the accounts.. If I don't have the money for it I don't buy it.. But when I was doing a lot of spending most of it wasn't for me but for other people.. My kids and family etc........
Desire
Desire
Newly Joined Friend
Newly Joined Friend

Female
Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Payne Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:34 am

Am I an emotional spender? Yes!
I see something! I want it! I GET IT
Sydney Payne
Sydney Payne

Female
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-09-22

http://www.pinkandglitzy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Do you feel good when you spend?? and more importantly are you ever sorry after if it was impulsive??

sometimes I purchase because I feel excited about something.. but if I can't make up my mind.. I'll leave it there.. wait a day or two.. if I am still thinking about it, I will go back later and get it.. if I don't.. I figure I didn't need it
Sassy
Sassy
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Payne Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Yes I always feel good when I spend, a mad haze comes over me. sometimes i regret it becasuse of the money spent but think what the hell, then usually give the product to my daughter if its not for me. Im a terror for impulse!
you have more sense than me Sassy it seems im always terrified I will miss out if I have to go back.
However there are many times I go to a store and see NOTHING i like so then my money stays in my purse.
Sydney Payne
Sydney Payne

Female
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-09-22

http://www.pinkandglitzy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:13 pm

well sometimes I've gambled and lost.. I've gone home and thought about something for days... then I decide I simply must have it.. but when I've gone back.. sometimes the product is gone!
Sassy
Sassy
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by OMGMTAP Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:37 am

Sydney Payne wrote:Yes I always feel good when I spend, a mad haze comes over me. sometimes i regret it becasuse of the money spent but think what the hell, then usually give the product to my daughter if its not for me. Im a terror for impulse!

Same here, preachin' to the choir! There is nothing like shopping that perks up my spirit.
OMGMTAP
OMGMTAP
Friend
Friend

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-12-09

http://www.myspace.com/moheartyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Casper69 Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:04 am

spending money is evil.... My first impulse is to give into that evil....
Casper69
Casper69
Valued Friend
Valued Friend

Male
Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2007-12-09

http://www.myspace.com/running_wulf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down