Sassy&Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Counts..

Go down

Character Counts.. Empty Character Counts..

Post by Sassy Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm going to post a few commentaries by Michael Josephson I find great worthiness of thought..

The Six Pillars of Character 550.5
I’ve talked before about the importance of making moral judgments. The idea is not to encourage categorizing or labeling others’ character but to clarify moral obligations in terms of specific values and attributes that make us better people and produce a better society.

The most effective framework I know is built on six core ethical values called the Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship. Thus, if you want to be a person of character:

First, be worthy of trust, live with honor and integrity, be honest, keep your promises, and do what's right even when it costs more than you want to pay.

Second, treat others with respect; live by the Golden Rule; and avoid physical violence, verbal abuse, prejudice, and all other acts that demean or offend human dignity.

Third, be responsible, exercise self-discipline and self-restraint, do your best, and be self-reliant and accountable for the consequences of your choices.

Fourth, be fair, don’t cheat, be open and consistent, don’t jump to conclusions, and be careful when making judgments about others.

Fifth, be caring, kind, empathetic, and charitable; avoid selfishness; and do what you can to improve the lives of others.

Sixth, be a good citizen, do your share to make your community better, protect the environment, participate in democratic processes, play by the rules, and obey laws (unless you have a compelling conscientious objection).
Sassy
Sassy
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum